Often times I see a great blog giveaway get less than a hundred entries. With a few changes to their post, the giveaway could have easily received twice that, if not more.
This is the second of a series of posts on ways you can increase the number of entrants in your giveaways.
If you missed the first part, you can catch up here - We discussed blog giveaway prizes.
Blog Giveaway - Don't Forget the Details
- Be sure to state in your giveaway who is eligible to enter. Some people will not enter a giveaway if it is not definitively stated who is eligible. So be sure to mention if it is US, US and Canada, or worldwide. Also be sure to mention if there are any age restrictions. (I personally list my giveaways as 18+ as a precaution because I don't want to violate any minor privacy laws.) If you have a sponsor, be sure to check with them on where they will ship. They may be willing to ship internationally and then you can benefit from those additional entrants.
- Be sure to state how you will notify the winner. I would advise that you don't make the winner come back to your blog and check for a win. Personally, if I see that listed on a giveaway, I close the window and go enter a different one, even if it was for a prize I wanted. With thousands of blog giveaways running at any given time, chances are most people aren't going to come back and see who won. It is much less of a headache to just email the winner.
- Be sure to clearly state when your blog giveaway ends. Include both a date and a time. I can't tell you how many giveaways I have seen that state "ends next [insert day of the week here]". Half the time, the blog posts aren't even dated. So how are the entrants supposed to figure out when the giveaway ends? By listing a date and a time, including time zone, you make it clear to your entrants when the cut-off is. You will get more entrants if you spell things out clearly so the entrant knows what to expect.
- If you are going to give entries for things like following on twitter, subscribing to your feed, etc, be sure to include links right there to make things easier on the entrant. If the link is included where you are spelling out the ways to earn entries, people will be more likely to take advantage of it. If they have to hunt through your sidebar, they may just skip that entry method. Entering blog giveaways is time consuming. If you want an entrant to take advantage of all your entry methods, then make it easy for them to find links.
- This may seem like common sense, but do not change the terms of your giveaway after it has begun. People get irritated when giveaways change the end date. Not only is it unfair to the entrants, but most likely people will start avoiding any giveaways hosted by that blog in the future.
This series will continue tomorrow. Be sure for the post where I discuss tips on how to set up your blog giveaway entries.